Perils in Peril

by Doc Coleman on March 17, 2014 · 10 comments

in Novels, WIP

Last summer, I asked for help from you, the readers of this blog. I had reached the state where I needed readers to further polish by novel and get it ready for publication. A number of people volunteered to Alpha Read, and to Beta Read. Well, things went slow with the Alpha Read. I had to scramble to get some replacement readers in December. Now, the Alpha Read is about to complete, and I’ve sent word out to the Beta readers that their part is about to begin.

And I’ve heard back from exactly two of them…

Now, I understand that it has been months, and things change. Someone who had time back then, now has other responsibilities. I can sympathize with that.

But I’m also looking at a deadline.

I wanted to get The Perils of Prague published in time for Balticon 48, which is at the end of May, because it is a great opportunity to publicise the book. In order to do that, I have to finalize the text by the end of April. That means all revisions DONE by end of April. Which really means I need to start the Beta Read two weeks ago, and keep up a tight schedule.

Is it to late to publish by Balticon? No. But to meet that deadline, I need more readers and they must be willing to commit to a very rapid schedule. My other alternative is to be able to raise some money quickly and hire a freelance editor who can do the work to meet my schedule. This would probably mean paying a premium amount for a rush job.

Or…

Or I can miss the opportunity to launch the book at Balticon and set a later release date. That would still mean I need more readers, but I am likely to get more takers with a more relaxed schedule. I would almost prefer to have an actual publishing problem because then I could at least move forward with electronic versions. When the problem is with the text, you’re kind of stuck.

So, I’m appealing to you, dear readers. Can you help me out? Are you willing to read and comment on the book in a short period to help me get the book out in time for Balticon? Or should I delay the launch and take more time? Is someone out there able to help me set up a pre-order for the book, so I can raise the funds to get editing done?

I have thought of Kickstarter, but I don’t have enough vocal supporters to expect to be able to make a Kickstarter goal. And it would take another 30 days, at least.

Give me some opinions, folks. I need every person who reads this to comment and help me figure out what to do. Because whatever choice I make, the success depends on you.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) March 17, 2014 at 10:04 am

I feel bad I can’t get it in sooner. I really wish I could. I look forward to seeing it at Balticon, but understand if it is a later release. 🙂

Best to you!

Reply

2 Doc Coleman March 17, 2014 at 11:15 am

Thanks for the show of support.

Reply

3 Scott Roche (@spiritualtramp) March 17, 2014 at 1:37 pm

You could do an Indiegogo and use it as a “pre-order” or set up a Paypal and do a pre-order. I did that with the first Ginnie Dare book and it worked pretty well. I believe this was the blog post for that.
http://www.scottroche.com/thoughts/2011/02/pre-sale-for-ginne-dare-crimson-sands/‎ I’d be glad to help however I can (though as you’ve noticed I’ve had a hard time getting you comments on schedule).

Reply

4 Doc Coleman March 18, 2014 at 6:35 am

You just set a price and set up a PayPal store to do pre-orders?

I may have to talk to you offline about the details of this idea.

Doc

Reply

5 Sue March 17, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I hate to be a wet blanket, but even if you can find beta readers willing to drop everything you should still have a fresh set of eyes look over the manuscript one last time after you make any changes they suggest. Since you’re talking about a physical dead-tree book I think you’re better off taking your time to make sure you put out a product of the highest possible quality. Mistakes happen with greater frequency when we’re rushing and launching a book that has numerous errors is, in my opinion, a greater tragedy than not launching at Balticon.

Reply

6 Doc Coleman March 18, 2014 at 6:39 am

I don’t think you’re being a wet blanket. You have a very compelling point, and this kind of compelling argument is just what I was asking for. Thank you.

I’m going to have to give this some thought, but I think you may be right.

Doc

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: