#NaNoWriMo 2012, Day 15 – 18 Or Where the heck did you go?

by Doc Coleman on November 19, 2012 · 10 comments

in NaNoWriMo, Novels, WIP

Rumors of my demise would be a premature exaggeration. But I have to admit that I felt like my demise was nigh on Thursday. I came home from work completely exhausted and then sacked out. I woke up at 8 PM to take my meds, and was just about to go right back to bed, when I remembered that I just needed about 500 words to take my story over 20k, and I had kind of promised you, my readers, that I was going to hit 20k on the 15th. So I sat down to write 500 words, and ended up writing just over 11oo before stumbling back to bed. Friday I wrote another thousand words before taking a break for dinner and to join Nobilis Reed for a recording hangout on G+. It was a fun time listening and talking with some of Nobilis’ fans. I may have to do something similar when I get to recording again. Afterwards, I wrote another 1500 words, but didn’t update NaNoWriMo until after midnight, so they got credited to Saturday. By then, I was too tired to work up a diary entry.

Saturday was completely booked from beginning to end, but I still managed to sneak in about 250 words on my iPad while riding in the car.

Sunday, I managed to pound out over 3000 new words, but that took me right up until midnight, and since I had to get up early for work, that again left no time to write up a diary entry.

Sooooo… I’ve had some good and bad writing days, but I haven’t gone a day without writing since the 11th. I am still about 3300 words behind where I should be, but I still have a chance to make it up. I just have to keep at it and keep pulling 2000+ word days. If I can get in enough writing with the four-day weekend coming up, I should even be able to pull ahead! But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

The good news is that things have been moving along nicely in the story…

The elves, Roderick and Kara, have escorted Casey (and the pixies) to the hidden city of Talas to consult with the Primus. Talus is small by the standards of cities that Casey has lived in, but she has never seen such a variety of cultures together in one place. There are centaurs, elves, humans, dwarves, and other things that Casey can’t even begin to name living side by side, working, bargaining, laughing. The group threads its way through the streets to something that appears to be a temple off of a side street. They are led into a room to meet with Secundus, who hears Casey’s tale and agrees that this is a matter for the Primus. He instructs that healers be brought to tend to Casey’s wounds so that she can face the Primus with her full faculties.

Casey is bathed and tended, and all of her cuts and scrapes seem to have completely vanished. Refreshments are brought for the party as they wait for an audience with the Primus, who seems to be part judge, part head of state, and part wizard.

Finally, they are brought into a garden where they are questioned by two men in robes. The Pixies charges and evidence are heard, as are the testimonies of the elves, and the naiad of the river, who has promised Casey her protection for her own reasons. The men then turn to Casey. While the evidence presented is not conclusive, the crime she has been accused of is too horrific to ignore. Two pixies have died, and a third will live out its life as an empty husk. The Primus can test Casey, and determine her guilt or innocence once and for all, but the test is not without danger. If she refuses, she will be held until new evidence comes to light and the case is proved. If she is tested and found guilty, she will be put to death. If she is tested and found innocent, she will be free to go where she may. Now is the time for Casey to chose.

Will Casey choose to be tested? Can she survive the test? Even if she does, how can she get home?

Tune in next time for the answers to these and other questions…

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 19, 2012 at 11:27 am

You are on it! And the biggest thing, you are getting words each day. No matter the count. So glad you hit the goal for Thursday. 🙂 That was awesome. And no worries about not doing the diary. It’s wonderful, but you are hitting the words, that’s important. 🙂

Oh! Casey is all better. 😀 And I say TEST, TEST!! lol. Sounding like you are really enjoying the story. That’s the best part. 🙂

Here’s to a very good week ahead…I’ll probably not be doing much after Wed. with the holiday and so much family to visit. Have a great Thanksgiving, in case you don’t get to diary, or I don’t get to visit.

2 Doc Coleman November 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thursday was half the words. But half is better than nothing! 😀 Although actually if you include the diary entries, I’m kicking out a lot more words this month, it’s just that only about a half to 2/3rds of them are story.

Casey has been healed from her ordeal. If I’m going to really beat her up, it will be when she’s actually fighting for something. Which will either be at the end of this book or the next one. Oh,no! I’m talking trilogy again…

As for the testing, that is going to take some thought on how to depict it. Although, I think I just thought of a very gross and interesting way to present it.

Happy Thanksgiving, Mel, and thanks for all your support. It is very good to have an active commenter here. I hope you stick around after November. 😀

Doc

3 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Hahaha! I love that word…trilogy. 😀

Glad to hear the testing is coming up too.

And thank you for the Thanksgiving wishes. 🙂 And you are so welcome! It’s a pleasure to stop by and send support. 🙂 Part of all the great fun with Nano. And glad to be an active commenter. I love commenting, and letting others know I was there and did read what they shared, it’s the great thing about blogging. And I’ve got you on my Reader window, so as I might not make ever post, I’ll be stopping by from now on. 🙂 So, glad to hear you like that I visit. 🙂 Thank you.

4 Doc Coleman November 19, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Glad to hear it. I’ll look forward to your comments.

But for now, I’ve got to crank out about 2000 words tonight…

Doc

5 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 19, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Well, get to writing! LOL! I’ve got to get to mine as well. Enough play for one night. 🙂

6 Doc Coleman November 20, 2012 at 6:00 am

I managed to get in 2500 words by midnight. Well, actually 2440 something, but it was a good place to stop.

How did you do?

Doc

7 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 20, 2012 at 8:28 am

WONDERFUL!! and I think 2500 words work to describe what you go done. 🙂

Well…I started a new exercise program last week, and last night was a rough workout… so, when I got off line I went to relax, and kinda dozed off.

I’m a little scared about this scene coming. Its pretty much the ending and lots I want to happen. I know where I want to end, but not sure on the details within it. I did start writing up a list of what’s to happen in this last scene, and were I’m to be after. So started to get an image of what happens and still working up that list so when I sit down it’ll at least be the bones of the angle I’m hoping for. *sigh* We’ll see what happens.

8 Doc Coleman November 20, 2012 at 9:08 am

My exercise program has taken a hit. Part of that has been NaNo, part has been because I’ve been sick and haven’t quite recovered. With travelling this week, it will be tough to get with the program. I’ll do what I can this week and try to do better next week.

Those climactic end scenes can be difficult, what with everything that needs to be packed into them. But if you don’t put it all in the one scene, it loses the impact. At least you’re taking the time to pull out all the points you want to make. Just don’t fret too much if they don’t want to fit nicely together when you sit down to write the scene. That is what revisions are for. Just establish yourself a baseline to work off of.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Doc

9 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 20, 2012 at 6:44 pm

You’ll get back to the exercising soon, but don’t wait to long it’s so easy to get out of the habit…that’s what happened to me and I’m paying for it now.

I know if I just get writing the scene it’ll start to come. But what to have some idea of points to hit when going. And I will add to it and will probably completely redo it when the re-writes come. I just need to do it. I will. 🙂

Happy Thanksgiving!

10 Doc Coleman November 21, 2012 at 7:13 am

I hope to get some walking in this weekend. A post-feast constitutional to fight off the carb coma. And in December I’ll have more time to get back into a routine.

Doc