#NaNoWriMo 2012, Day 14

by Doc Coleman on November 14, 2012 · 12 comments

in NaNoWriMo, Novels, WIP

Feeling better today, and back to work. Still dealing with coughs and sneezes as my body tries to rid itself of the last of the infection, but I have a lot more energy. Unfortunately, I had to drive my carpool today, so I didn’t get to start writing until after work. Nor did I get a chance to work on any of the other posts I alluded to yesterday.

I did manage to work up a respectable word count, though. I set a personal goal of writing 2000 words today, and managed to get in 2,297 words. I’m now less than 4000 words behind where I should be, so that is a healthy chunk of recovery for the day. I’m still under 20,000 words, but I should break that barrier tomorrow. I will still have to rack up extra words for a while if I am going to finish on time. The goal as this point is to have no more days without writing.

The good news is that things have been moving along nicely in the story…

Casey wakes to find that she has been kidnapped by pixies and is being flown across the country side on the end of strings held aloft by dozens of pixies. She screams out at this revelation and the pixies panic! Crashing to the ground, our poor heroine tumbles, bounces, and skids to a stop in the grass. Driven to the edge of herΒ endurance, Casey breaks down and sobs openly.

At this point, two elves arrive to rescue the young girl from her captors. They have been sent by a mysterious benefactor to see Casey safely to the Primus, who will either judge her, or send her home. Of course, Casey knows there is no such thing as elves, or fairies, or even pixies. So what is really going on here?

Tune in next time…

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 16, 2012 at 9:40 am

Great! You hit the goal and beyond. Sorry I’m late getting by. Glad to see things are turning in the numbers for you.

And love the fey world sound with Casey. πŸ™‚ Hope she’s alright after that fall. And curious who that mysterious benefactor is. πŸ˜‰

Keep on going! You are doing great!

2 Doc Coleman November 16, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I over-performed one day, and then under-performed the next. I guess it all comes out in the wash, but I still have a deficit I need to make up. Being exhausted and going right to bed yesterday didn’t help, but I’m awake today and I’m going to start writing in a little bit. I hope to do at least 3K today. Which would be good because it looks like I won’t be able to write tomorrow unless I get up really early. :/

Casey’s a little banged up, but not seriously hurt. She won’t be running marathons any time soon. But she is beginning to learn how different this world in which she’s found herself really is. And things are about to get really strange really soon!

Speaking of doing great, you’re burning through your own novel! You’re at least 5000 words ahead! Fantastic!

Doc

3 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 17, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I always have troubles waking up to early to do anything, I’m exhausted before I get started. But sounds like you worked it all out in the wash with numbers. Hope you hit that number you are looking for. πŸ™‚

Good to hear Casey’s not to banged up. It really sounds like a great world you are creating her in. And one that sounds like a great read. πŸ™‚ Hope you are having tons of fun with it!

Oh, thanks. I started off fast as I know with our families and such for Thanksgiving, I loss at least 2 days, but the closer it comes the more it looks like 4 days. So, I’ve got to get ahead and stay that way. πŸ™‚

Thank you.

4 Doc Coleman November 19, 2012 at 6:56 am

I don’t have issues getting up early when I know that I HAVE to get up at that time. My problem is when I know that I could get up just a little later and still get things done. Ok, maybe a little more. All right, just a little more. And the next thing I know I’ve overslept for hours. As long as I have something that is fixed in time, where other people are depending on me to be there, I can get up and do it.

Casey’s world has changed a bit in the last few days, but that is a subject for another post. But it has been interesting how this story has changed as I’ve been writing it. I think in the end it is going to be rather longer than I had originally expected.

I am still trying to play catch up from missing several days on Veteran’s Day weekend. I can do it just by pulling 2000 word days from here on out, but it hasn’t been as smooth going as I had hoped.

Doc

5 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 19, 2012 at 8:35 am

Hahaha, I love sleeping the time away, especially this time of year when chilled. Then I regret it when I finally get up, and thinking of all the things I could have done.

Oh, look forward to your next post about Casey then. πŸ™‚ And glad it’s turning out better than planned. I’ve come to the thinking last night, I might have more than 50k as well. Something (or 2) came up over the weekend I hadn’t planned, but needed. πŸ™‚ Love when that happens.

And you can do it. Who knows, maybe you’ll have a day where you pound out many more words than hoped. And it seems to go in spurts, but that’s good too. πŸ™‚

Here’s to another week full of words and pages! πŸ™‚

6 Doc Coleman November 19, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I haven’t been that worried about getting the 50k words in. I know I can do that. Last year I had 3500+ days just by writing another “250 words more” over and over. My goal for this year has been to complete the first draft in November. That goal I’m not sure I can make. The story does keep changing as I write it. New levels keep showing up.

Still, this Saturday and Sunday should be all day at the keyboard. I still have a chance to complete the draft! πŸ˜€

On to Victory!

Doc

7 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 19, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Victory! πŸ˜€ And sounds like you’ve got more to tell than one story. That is amazing when that happens. πŸ™‚ Good luck this weekend.

8 Doc Coleman November 19, 2012 at 7:44 pm

There is always another story to tell. I’ve got at least six stories to write for The Adventures of Crackle and Bang. The problem is usually whipping them into shape.

Doc

9 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 19, 2012 at 7:50 pm

haha, great to hear more to work on. Funny you should mention whipping them into shape. I’m on my second year of Nano and never really did much with last years work. I read through it once and made notes. I am ready to go back to it now, in 2013 that’s my goal. I seem to be good for the Nano part, but then drop the ball on finishing through. I think that’s where I need the kick in the keester. But, I WILL do it this year, and write the second book for next years Nano…that’s the plan.

Here’s to a new year of sorting all those little troubles out and getting a good draft to work with. πŸ™‚

10 Doc Coleman November 20, 2012 at 5:58 am

This is my second year of NaNo as well. I won last year, but it took me until June to get the last 30k of that novel written. I have had alpha readers look at it, but haven’t started the revisions yet. Now it looks like I will have two novels to edit in 2013!

I also have a short story to release as an e-book that has been stuck in hold for a year.

There is always something.

Doc

11 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 20, 2012 at 8:21 am

That’s wonderful! And two novels are a lot of work. But great to have them there.

And great about having a short story too, well sorry for the hold but good to have. πŸ™‚

12 Doc Coleman November 20, 2012 at 8:58 am

It is mostly finding the time to do the editing, revisions, and layout for the e-book versions. The actual publishing has been pretty easy once I get to that step. Sales have been pathetic, but I’ve only had one short story out there up until now and it hasn’t been worthwhile to do any marketing for a single short story. I need to build some depth in my back catalog, and that means getting things to the “published” stage.

Doc