#NaNoWriMo 2012, Day 6

by Doc Coleman on November 6, 2012 · 8 comments

in NaNoWriMo, Novels, WIP

This is going to be a short one today, folks. I didn’t get a lot of words in today. They all came in a very grudging manner. But I did write today, and I did get enough words in that I am (slightly) ahead of the curve forΒ NaNoWriMo. So, while I don’t have much of a lead, I am still on schedule to hit 50,000 words by the end of November.

Skipping down to the numbers, I got 1,036 words written, which puts me at 10,123 words so far. Here’s today’s progress bar:

Not much to say about today’s writing. I started late, and had tough going. I’ve started bridging to the beginning of the action arc, but I’ve still got some establishing work to do yet. Honestly, right now I’m very tired, so I’m just going to head off to bed. Hopefully tomorrow will be full of much better writing. See you then.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 7, 2012 at 9:02 am

Doing good! Well, great actually. πŸ™‚

I seem to be struggling with the characters now. I know what the over all story arc is, but the characters seem to be fighting me in what I want them to do. So, I’ve got to sit back and redesign the little scenes to get the story arc to continue the way it’s to go. That’s okay, I’m loving it though. πŸ™‚

Here’s to a great writing day today!

2 Doc Coleman November 7, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I wanted to be farther ahead by now. I’m afraid that I’m not going to hit the word count today, and I know that this weekend is going to be rough. I’m going to have a lot of traveling hours to write, but will probably lose both Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully I can split the difference.

I’m also struggling with characters. Not sure I have the right ones in the right places. I still have a couple of scenes to finish setting the stage.

Some of the scenes seem really weak and short. I suspect that in the second and third draft I’ll be cutting some of those scenes, but for now I just try to write them and move on.

I hope you’re having a great writing day as well! πŸ˜€

Doc

3 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 8, 2012 at 8:44 am

I’ll have to look for your next post to see if you made the word count. And hope you get more words in over the weekend during your running. I know I have family visiting to do as well. Last weekend was my big tada.

Hope you got to wrangle those characters in and shaped them up. πŸ˜‰ I know it’s hard, and there are things coming out that aren’t what’s to be there, but they are words and form the idea; one way or another, for me. Even bad things that are here are making me know what it is that’s to be there, so I make a little note and go on. πŸ™‚

Sounds like you are on a great path. Keep it up!

4 Doc Coleman November 9, 2012 at 8:22 am

Didn’t quite make my word count, but I hope to go a big way towards making it up today. I’ve basically got seven hours of riding to write in. Hopefully I can end the weekend on the positive side of the word count.

I think the characters are finally lining up where I need them to be. I’m definitely getting ready to dive into the main action of the story. We’ll see where it goes!

Doc

5 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 9, 2012 at 8:51 am

Sounds like you are at the top of that mountain ready to run down the other side. The words are there ready to race out when you get to sit down to do it. πŸ™‚ I have that feeling know that things are falling into place. Great to hear!

6 Doc Coleman November 14, 2012 at 6:40 am

You could say that. I’m a bit more prepared to write about what happens to Casey after she finds her way to The Bright Lands, than I was with what happened before. Sometimes it seems odd which sections cause the words to flow and which have that flow stemmed.

Right now, I just need to block out more at the keyboard time.

Doc

7 Melissa (My World...in words and pages) November 14, 2012 at 8:35 am

Some sections almost feel like you are working against them. But, it’s worth the battle in the end. πŸ™‚ Glad you are getting to the sections you enjoy.

8 Doc Coleman November 14, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Well, when you discovery write, some discoveries are easier than others. And some discoveries don’t want to be made.

Doc