Perils in Peril

by Doc Coleman on March 17, 2014 · 10 comments

in Novels, WIP

Last summer, I asked for help from you, the readers of this blog. I had reached the state where I needed readers to further polish by novel and get it ready for publication. A number of people volunteered to Alpha Read, and to Beta Read. Well, things went slow with the Alpha Read. I had to scramble to get some replacement readers in December. Now, the Alpha Read is about to complete, and I’ve sent word out to the Beta readers that their part is about to begin.

And I’ve heard back from exactly two of them…

Now, I understand that it has been months, and things change. Someone who had time back then, now has other responsibilities. I can sympathize with that.

But I’m also looking at a deadline.

I wanted to get The Perils of Prague published in time for Balticon 48, which is at the end of May, because it is a great opportunity to publicise the book. In order to do that, I have to finalize the text by the end of April. That means all revisions DONE by end of April. Which really means I need to start the Beta Read two weeks ago, and keep up a tight schedule.

Is it to late to publish by Balticon? No. But to meet that deadline, I need more readers and they must be willing to commit to a very rapid schedule. My other alternative is to be able to raise some money quickly and hire a freelance editor who can do the work to meet my schedule. This would probably mean paying a premium amount for a rush job.

Or…

Or I can miss the opportunity to launch the book at Balticon and set a later release date. That would still mean I need more readers, but I am likely to get more takers with a more relaxed schedule. I would almost prefer to have an actual publishing problem because then I could at least move forward with electronic versions. When the problem is with the text, you’re kind of stuck.

So, I’m appealing to you, dear readers. Can you help me out? Are you willing to read and comment on the book in a short period to help me get the book out in time for Balticon? Or should I delay the launch and take more time? Is someone out there able to help me set up a pre-order for the book, so I can raise the funds to get editing done?

I have thought of Kickstarter, but I don’t have enough vocal supporters to expect to be able to make a Kickstarter goal. And it would take another 30 days, at least.

Give me some opinions, folks. I need every person who reads this to comment and help me figure out what to do. Because whatever choice I make, the success depends on you.

Previous post:

Next post: