Achievement Unlocked!

by Doc Coleman on July 12, 2013 · 0 comments

in Novels, WIP

On Wednesday I hinted that there was likely to be another update on my writing this week, and I was right! Last Sunday I was looking at milestones for my progress, and realized that based on the rate of progress I had made on the second draft of The Perils of Prague, I was right on track to complete the draft this week. Then I had several days in a row when I had to spend my daily writing time working on other projects. I got my daily writing in, I just didn’t make any progress on editing Perils. At the time I published Wednesday’s update, I figured I should still be able to finish by the end of the day on Sunday, provided I could edit at least 3000 words a day…

Then on Thursday, I got home from work and decided to make an early start on the editing. I edited a short chapter, and needed to do a little more to cover the day’s editing minimum. So, I started working on the next chapter… and finished that one too. It was still early, so I went on and edited yet another chapter. Before I knew it, I had edited over 13,000 words and come to the end of the novel! I see this as a very good sign. Just the idea that the characterization at the end of my novel was so compelling that I didn’t want to stop, even knowing ahead of time what happens. Well, the thought makes me giddy. This book is turning out to be better than I had originally thought.

I’m still looking at a lot of work before I’m ready for publication. I still have some notes on sections that need to be revised. I also need to get the book in front of other people’s eyes, and get their reactions to help inform the changes for the 3rd Draft, which is the version I want to put out to the Beta Readers. In part, this means that I need to get on the Alpha readers and encourage them to get me feedback faster. This may also mean that I need to recruit some more Alpha Readers.

It also means that the Beta Read is likely to be put off until August. I have to admit that this was one of the more frustrating issues I have when working with other people: being unable to move forward until someone else responds, and not knowing how dedicated each person associated with the project is. In some ways, it makes me feel like the entire project is a bit vulnerable. There is very little I can do to encourage prompt feedback from my readers, but I can’t move forward without that feedback. For now, I’ll have to do the best I can.

Since I’m not actively writing or editing the novel now, this does free up some time for me to do some research to see if I can offer some programming services to one of the editors that I’ve talked to about editing Perils. I could really use the services of a good editor, not because I think my story is bad, but because I want to be able to make it the best story it can be, and I’m too close to the story to evaluate it clearly. This, at least, is something I can do to keep things moving forwards.

Oddly enough, the new draft of Perils has now make the story longer. It is now an 85 thousand word story, up from 77 thousand. While most people tend to cut words during revisions, I found that more often I needed to add some additional description or explanation of the action. I did cut some unneeded words, but on the whole, I ended up adding more narrative than I cut. I’m actually quite happy with the current length. I think it is a good length for an adventure, but fast paced enough to carry the reader on, but leave them wanting for the next book.

It will be interesting to see if the next book ends up being about the same length, or is longer. The next Crackle & Bang adventure will have a larger cast, and more intrigue to it, so I expect it to be longer, but I haven’t fully plotted out the action, so it may actually end up being a simpler storyline and not much longer. I guess I’ll find out when I get around to writing it. For now, I need to stay focused on completing Perils.

All right, that’s enough for today. I’ll talk to you more next time!

Previous post:

Next post: